So this is my attempt at the DIY turban that mahaila designed here. Challenge completed. Pretty successful, I think! Now trust me when I say if I can do this, anybody can. I don't have much patience and the longest I have been in front of a sewing machine is with mahaila by my side the whole time. For this challenge, with mahaila in Germany, it was just me. This is how it started out.........
R u going to keep the one u make or do I get both? Hehehehe
Mahaila: i can send you what ever I make, but you need to make one too. It's pretty simple stuff. I haven't made it yet, but it won't be difficult.
Well mahaila over-estimated my sewing knowledge. The good news is that I learnt a few things along the way:
- The machine won't sew without the bobbin.......
- I now know how to re-fill the bobbin in a modern sewing machine
- The RIGHT side of fabric means the side that you want showing.... mahaila is going to roll her eyes when she reads this, but I thought she meant "right" as in left and right (trust me, I'm not a dumb-ass, just a little ditsy at times)
- When mahaila said to fold it, she meant LENGTH WAYS. On my first attempt, I folded it into some stupid little tube and sewed the top then had to unpick it and start again.
- Measurements should be EXACT. After making my first one that didn't fit on my head, I decided to measure it properly.
I think you could make this out of a jersey or a stretch wool if velvet isn't your thing. And get creative! You could embellish the front (like on this Sportsgirl turban), or you could change the smaller section to a bow.
Mahaila: did you want a bow?
Kaye: I don't want a bow on it because, as much as I like my black one, I get called "cute" alot when i wear it and one of my girlfriends told me she "just wanted to cuddle me and play with me". So I'd like one without a bow this time.
We hope you guys have fun creating your own unique turban... and the cash you save by doing it yourself!! Please let us know if you give it a crack and send us pictures :)