February 18, 2012

instructions for my Isabel Marant DIY top

Photobucket

As promised, here is the tutorial for my Isabel Marant inspired DIY shirt. 
I used this youtube video to sew my patch pockets. Here's the way that I did it:

Photobucket

1. Select your material
I bought a chequered shirt from cotton on for about $20.
I then found some fabric from Spotlight that "clashed" with the coloured checks on the shirt. The fabric was only 75c!

Photobucket

2. Unpick the pockets
This shirt already had pockets so I unpicked them, ready to be replaced with my "clashing" pockets.

Photobucket

3. Sew the top
I drew a template and outlined it on the fabric, ready to be cut.
I then sewed the top section of the pocket.

Photobucket

4. Pin and iron
I pinned about a 1cm seem around the other three edges, and ironed the edges to keep my pocket flat.

Photobucket

5. Secure and sew
I then secured my pocket on wit a bobby pin or two and simply stitched around the three edges.

So at the end of the day, I made a shirt for around $20.75, when the real deal cost $300.
WIN!

Kaye xx

12 comments:

  1. wow! this is great!


    http://www.reinade-lanoche.blogspot.com
    http://www.reinade-lanoche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, it's so ingenious, it's always amazing when you can make your own dupe bargain!

    dp
    x

    www.inanityandthegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome idea! You know what would also be rad? A denim shirt with leather pockets :O I am so copying this!!!! xx S

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a natural genius! Thanks for this :D how I was I had a sewing machine, but I also like to make DIY projects but I only sew things with my hands, so I couldn't do much things..

    CROP.CRIP.CROP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm..it doesn't seem that hard..hehehe
    xo
    Ev

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice one! Love the process and outcome. It's ggggrrrreat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it seems I can DIY my shirt in the next summers days. But I think I can do it now with my coat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is really good. love it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for your instructions. i think i can do it.

    ReplyDelete