December 31, 2014

Simple Dried Orange Christmas Tree Decorations




This year I set out to make some simple organic christmas decorations. I was inspired by an instagram photo that Tilly and the Buttons had posted where she was attempting to dry some oranges for ornaments. I really dislike the consumer mentality during the christmas period and was eager to stay away from department stores. So this was the perfect solution.

MAKING THE ORANGE CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
1. Preheat the oven to 60 degrees Celsius. 
2. I cut the oranges about 1cm thick.
3. Place them in the oven on baking paper for about 4 hours or until they are dried out. Turn them over ever so often and regularly check them. 
4. Once cooled, poke a ribbon or thread some string through the orange. 
5. Hang them on your tree!


Alternative Option: If I was back at home in Australia I would have left these babies out in the sun for a few days, but being in Germany means that it is snowing, so little chance of the sun drying out the fruit. 



When placing the oranges on the tree, try and line some fairy lights up behind them. The oranges will glow!



I will certainly give the oranges a go next year along with some different fruit!

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love the way the light shines through the oranges. When I was a kid we used to string cranberries onto the tree... not sure if those are available outside the States, but the red berries look so pretty against the green of the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks for the advice! I will keep an eye out for berry options for next year. I tried stringing orange peel to string, but I had baked them for too long, too brittle. Will try the berries. Thanks!

      Delete